Tuesday, September 12, 2006

You don't go for the camping

Cut in the bank of the mighty Columbia river valley, a shanty village of tents and SUVs marked the end the pilgrimage of ~20,000 people. This colourfully/barely dress group of mostly whites, had endured high gas prices, stinky ‘Honey Buckets’* and semi cooked corn dogs in search of the ultimate beach ball’n, glow stick’n, and high five’n experience.**

Yes, Dave Matthews was playing the Gorge, in George Washington.

As the dude with the “Wanna make out?” sign walked by, I began to doubt my place in such a crowd. However, when Dave lead the band through the structure of ‘Granny’ and they dropped into the first Jam, there were few places I’d rather be (maybe closer to the stage; further from man w/ kissing sign).

There is no modern rock band that brings the technical mastery of their instruments to the stage like these guys. You almost need that minute of dead air they leave between songs to process what all went on in the last 12-15 minutes, before they start it all up again.

A satisfying 3 hours later, we followed the mob back to Shanty Town now wafting 3 days of human over population. We were quite pleased with our ‘site’ selection as it was apparent the majority of our neighbors also wanted to sleep. By the time Doug, Nikki and I awoke the shanty town was gone. Left behind were the excessive piles of trash scattered amidst old sofas and Honey Buckets. My heart went out to the clean-up crew.

A bowl of oatmeal later we broke camp and left for the home. On the way, I wondered if Dave would consider playing at Elfin lakes next year.






*American equivalent of ‘Jiffy John’ and if honey refers to the sticky yellow stuff covering the floor and seat they picked the right adjective.
** you may wish to add intoxicated’n to the list.

If you’d like to know the gritty details and all about the show and the gear they use Dave’s web tech has done the work for me. http://road.davematthewsband.com/SetlistsDir/setlist.asp (Sep 3 2006 Gorge Amphitheatre)

3 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

How did I miss this event? I'm bummed. You'll have to remind me the next time Dave plays at the Gorge.

September 13, 2006 at 10:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jana said...

That sounds so amazing… despite all of the ‘honey’ references.

September 14, 2006 at 9:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lindsey and Mike said...

I was at the Saturday night show. My face got rocked off and I still haven't recovered, that's how amazing it was. Maybe that's how I have mono now. It's been a mystery up until this point. Dave Matthews gave me mono! Being mono-licious just got a little better.

September 27, 2006 at 7:17:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home